For this autistic genius, sky's the limit. Soon to be Columbia Master.

홈 > 로컬뉴스 > 로컬뉴스 > 사회
로컬뉴스

For this autistic genius, sky's the limit. Soon to be Columbia Master.

웹마스터

There is a Korean-American teenager who is like straight out of a movie or cartoon.

The boy, who has autism, reads a 400 to 500-page thick novel in an hour. It takes 10 to 12 hours for a normal person to read such a book. 

Although he is only 16, he has already graduated from college and is currently studying for a master's degree in ‘developmental disabilities’ at the prestigious Ivy League Columbia Graduate School.

This is a story of Isaac Lee, the eldest son of Jong Chul and Sonia Lee, who work as lawyers in Santa Clarita, affluent town in northern LA County.  Born in Tokyo, Japan, Isaac moved to Hong Kong with his family when he was only 2 years old. Born 4 months earlier than scheduled, Lee weighed only 1 pound at the time of birth.  A normal newborn weighs about 7 pounds. 

As special medical care was needed, his parents decided to move to Hong Kong, where both public and private healthcare system are well-established. Isaac spent his childhood there and his ‘genius’ bloomed early on. He surprised many people by learning how to read by himself before he was 2 years old.

Autism is a kind of developmental disorder  that does not form interactions with others and confides one to his own world. 

"I'm not good at picking up emotions by looking at people's facial expressions. But when I'm immersed in the field of interest, I show great focus," Isaac said.

Isaac is a bookworm. He loves reading the Harry Potter series and also enjoys history and religion themed books. In Hong Kong, Isaac attended regular elementary school but skipped middle school. 

Due to his special situation, Isaac completed high school by homeschooling  program run by ‘Liberty Online Academy’, affiliated with Liberty University in Virginia.  He then enrolled in an online program at Liberty University and graduated in 2 years with a double major in history and religion. Isaac, who is now in master's program at Columbia University, his father's alma mater, expects to graduate in May.  

"Isaac got straight A’s in high school, college, and graduate school," his father added.

"I am really proud of my son taking courageous steps to achieve his dream while studying what he loves despite autism."

"Koreans  and other Asian-Americans are reluctant to talk openly about autism," Isaac said. 

"My dream is to become a top expert in the field of developmental disabilities,  including autism, and help disadvantaged children and teenagers realize their dreams.”

Isaac, a devout Christian, likes football, soccer, and country music, and usually hangs out with friends through church networks. He plays guitar and basketball to refresh himself in his free time. 

For Isaac, getting a master’s degree is not a final goal. His next plan is to obtain a Ph.D in theology, pursuing his interest and passion for religion.

"I'm different from normal people, but I want to get married and have children just like others,” Isaac said, smiling brightly.

English translation by Young Seo Han

0 Comments